[collectd] collectd on nexentaOS

Dmitry Yusupov dmitry at nexenta.com
Tue Jun 3 19:45:12 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 19:36 +0200, Florian Forster wrote:
> Hey Dmitry,
>
> On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 03:50:15PM -0700, Dmitry Yusupov wrote:
> > you could get SSH access to Nexenta ZFS zone by requesting account at
> > #nexenta IRC.
>
> who do I talk to? And what IRC network is that?

just ask there .. it is on freenode.net. There are lot of people who
could assist you.

> > From what I found, Solaris support is still quite basic, that is
> > comparing to the Linux support. Is that still the case or you guys
> > ported all the plug-ins to Solaris already ?
>
> The ``basic'' plugins, such as CPU and memory utilization, interface
> counters and disk throughput should work under Solaris. Many of the
> newer plugin use external libraries, such as libOpenIPMI, so if they
> work under Solaris or not depends on the availability of these
> libraries. Other plugins communicate with a daemon of some sort using
> standard Berkeley sockets - that's portable, too. There are some plugins
> that only make sense under Linux, such as the iptables and netlink
> plugins. Others, such as `apple_sensors' will not work either, of course
> ;)
>
> The list of plugins that could run under Solaris but don't is actually
> quite short ;) From the top of my head, I think the following plugins
> could do with some additional Solaris support:
> - battery
> - cpufreq
> - entropy
> - irqs
> - nfs
> - processes
> - serial
> - tcpconns
> - vmem
> - wireless
> (This list is probably incomplete and/or incorrect!)
>
> So, the most interesting plugins should be available and the more
> specialized plugins should be possible to port - given the system
> provides the information.

Great info! Thanks a lot. There are 2 versions of NexentaOS - NCP 1.x
(Ubuntu/Dapper based) and NCP 2.x (Ubuntu/Hardy based) 2.x is in very
active development, 1.x is in maintenance mode. Make sense to port
collectd to 2.x. Here is what I found so far:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/hardy/collectd

That means, it is already Debian packaged and in NCP 2.x environment
importing packages from upstream (Ubuntu) could be as simple as:

# apt-upstream-tool -e -p collectd

Then, compile, fix, etc. upload.

--
Nexenta Systems, Inc
Enterprise class data storage for everyone