[collectd] postgresql

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Sat Jul 5 19:22:48 CEST 2008

Hi Erwin,

On Sat, Jul 05, 2008 at 04:51:31PM +0200, Erwin Lemmers wrote:
> Are there plans to support postgresql to store the collected information in?
> I'm looking for such. I want to do some testing if somebody has it
> written already.

I don't know of any such plans and I cannot even recall that this has
been requested before. What kind of benefits do you expect from storing
the values in some relational database? Please note that those databases
would grow really quickly and thus would get huge unless old values are
removed every once in a while. Anyway, I think this could be implemented
fairly easily so somebody might want to give it a try. I'm currently
busy with other stuff but if you can convince me that this is a good
idea I might implement it within the next few weeks ;-)

As a side note: There have been discussions about implementing rrdtool
backends to store values in SQL databases and frontends to query rrdtool
with SQL. I'm pretty sure that the search engine of your choice will
find the appropriate discussions.

Cheers,