[collectd] Memoy leak advice

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Wed Jan 23 15:04:53 CET 2008

Hi Daniel,

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 10:17:07PM +0900, Daniel Rowe wrote:
> I enabled the logging and corrected any errors, mainly plugins that
> where not working. There are no errors being dumped to syslog now and
> it is still leaking memory. If I watch it with top a few bytes leak
> away every few seconds.

could you please provide your updated config, too? From the previous
config it looks like I'm using almost all of the plugin you had loaded
in production without memory loss.
The notable exceptions are the cpufreq and perl plugins. Do you use the
perl plugin? Can you provide the plugin written in Perl, too?

> I'm pretty sure it has a memory leak. What can I do to help track it
> down?

Don't know about your programming background, but if you've done a fair
amount of (C) programming you may want to try valgrind [1] to search for
lost memory blocks.
Other than that the ``divide and conquer'' testing method I've mentioned
in my previous email should be relatively easy and effective.

[1] <http://valgrind.org/>