[collectd] FR: SysV-style collectd.conf? (was: insecure tmpfile creation in collection.cgi)

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Tue Jan 22 22:06:34 CET 2008

On Sun, Sep 30, 2007 at 08:39:36PM +0000, I wrote:
> PS: I'd like to have a look at 4.1.x and gather some thoughts
> but from a quick peek at 4.0.x it's like technically it got
> better but usability suffers severely compared to 3.x -- one
> of selling points for me was exactly multi-value graphs.

Well, seems that was me having messed up the data during upgrade
and too lazy to start over from a backup :)  A fresh setup of
4.2.4 looks very good indeed (although I do miss a click-through
host summary page as 3.x cgi would produce).

So glad to see my fears were just silly.

Got a feature request though: is it interesting to enable
SysV-like configuration style, e.g. so that collectd.conf could
include /etc/collectd.d/*.conf with all of them uncommented
sitting in e.g. examples/?

Sysadmins might then use mv(1) to enable or disable parts of
config (which would contain both LoadPlugin and plugin setup);
distributing site-wide changes in particular snippets would be
easier too -- as well as writing configuration frontends (that's
actually what I suppose to do one day, an alterator module for
yet another decent part of a nice server).

Thanks!

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike at altlinux.ru>