[collectd] Memoy leak advice

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Mon Jan 21 16:20:54 CET 2008

Hi Daniel,

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 12:00:51AM +0900, Daniel Rowe wrote:
> My run out of memory the other day and I noticed it was collectd
> (4.2.1) using over 5 gig of memory on my Fedora 8 X86_64 box. The
> machine was swapping like crazy :)

what plugins have you loaded on the machine(s) experiencing this
problem? How fast is the memory consumed? There was a memory leak in the
SNMP plugin a while back, but that has been resolved.

> Is this a bug or something else? Thanks in advance.

Probably. However, since 4.2.* is available since October 2007 and I
haven't heard of such problems since it must be an uncommon place in the
code. Maybe some error handling or something.

Sorry I can't tell you anything specific, but without the config it's
hard to tell where the problem might be. Even with the config I can't
promise I can see where the problem is. Best would be some kind of
regression testing, i. e. disable half of the plugins and see if the
problem persist. Disable more and more plugins until you can nail it
down to one plugin.