[collectd] Plugins for postfix, amavisd-new and powerdns

Luke Heberling collectd at c-ware.com
Tue Feb 19 20:11:36 CET 2008

Sebastian Harl wrote:
> Replying to your original post to this list, Alexander Wirt pointed you
> at amavisd-nanny, amavisd's bdb stats databases and some snmp agent (see
> <20071120090914.GC29338 at ned.snow-crash.org>). Did you have a look at
> that? Any well-defined interface is preferred to parsing logs. Sorry for
> the inconvenience.

Did you read my response at the time? I looked at the bdb database at
least twice, once before I discovered collectd and was doing this with
perl scripts updating rrd files on a cron job.  I wouldn't describe it
as a well-defined interface.  In fact, if I wrote a plugin using the bdb
on my version of amavis (debian stable: 2.4.2) then it would be broken
with the newest release of amavis, which changed the bdb format
incompatibly in april of last year (version 2.5.0 - see
http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/release-notes.txt).  This apparently
wasn't much of a problem however because as noted in the release notes,
they just changed the nanny and agent to work with the new format.  The
role of the bdb appears to be an internal implementation detail which
can be changed to add features, counters and the like, or any other
reason. Listed as "related software" on the project's home page
(http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/#contrib) amongst nearly a dozen log
parsers are exactly zero programs which use the bdb.

Bolstering my opinion that the amavis distribution endorses log parsing
it the ease with which it can be done.  Take a look at the length of the
amavis plugin and you'll see how really simple it is to parse their
logs.  Even if they change the log format, unless they take a huge step
backwards in structured format it will be very easy to follow suit.  I
don't think that the same can be said of the bdb.

The snmp agent is slightly more appealing, but amavisd-agent is just a
proof of concept that "displays snmp-like counters".  It doesn't listen
to or answer queries from other programs.  Perhaps there are third party
programs that do that which may work fine with the existing snmp
collectd plugin, but they too would be burdened by keeping up with the
bdb format.

In short, I find the bdb format to be at least as volatile as the log
format, and I'd rather be in the same boat as a dozen other tools if the
log format changes than on my own using the bdb stats.  But I have that
regardless of whether you find a use for my plugin.  No reason to speak
of inconvenience, my plugins have improved in quality thanks to your
input and I will benefit from that as I continue to use them.

The powerdns plugin might still be of use to you.  It talks to powerdns
over a socket, but the format of the question/answer could change
incompatibly in a future version.

Luke