[collectd] Strange behavior of UnixSock plugin

Jarle Bjørgeengen jarle at bjorgeengen.net
Sat Dec 13 12:05:32 CET 2008

On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 15:01 +0100, Jarle Bjørgeengen wrote:
> Hi experts,
>
> after upgrading collectd to 4.4.4 (from EPEL repository) my perl script
> that sends data to the Unixsock plugin stopped working.
>
> I can't get it  to output any debug information to logfile. It just
> hangs forever on the first putval method of the open socket (I'm using
> Unixsock perl module)

This was caused by the (custom) type missing from types.db. The reason
it was missing was of course because the yum/rpm upgrade process
overwrote types.db. Is there a types.db.local mechanism, to avoid this
in the future. I guess just changing the path to somewhere else  in
collectd.conf also would do the trick, but then new upstream types would
have to be added manually ..

> It stops when doing this.

>  $sock->putval (%identifier, time=> $time , \
> values => [@vdisk_rates, at vdisk_lats])
>
> and does not return, or output anything to the logfile.

Is this intended behavior , or would it be sensible to return an error
if trying to PUT data with a non existant type ? It would at least help
detecting the problem faster :-)

BR
Jarle Bjørgeengen