[collectd] porting the postgres plugin to 4.4.2...

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Mon Aug 25 22:24:15 CEST 2008

Hi Admin, (this isn't really your name, is it?)

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 12:45:46PM +0930, Admin wrote:
> I was just wondering if the postgres plugin was likely to be ported to
> 4.4.3 or if the current intention is for it to become mainstream in
> 4.5?

new features are only added in ``minor versions'', i. e. versions where
the second number increases. So, yes, 4.5.0 will be the first version to
ship with this plugin. 4.4.3 will differ from 4.4.2 only in applied
bugfixes, but no new features, so that we will often omit the last digit
when talking about features. A more detailed explanation can be found
here: <http://collectd.org/faq.shtml#faq:version_numbers>

> Unfortunately the current git version leaks memory like crazy on
> solaris (its in development so fair enough).

Actually the 4.5 release is getting close, so any hints as to where you
see the leak would be much appreciated.

> For those struggling with getting collectd working on solaris, here are a
> couple of things I ended up doing
> 1) add "-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64" to CFLAGS

Why wasn't this added automatically? Isn't this defined in
`src/config.h'?

> 2) if the endian check is failing add the following to CFLAGS:
> x86 "-DBIG_ENDIAN=4321 -DLITTLE_ENDIAN=1234 -DBYTE_ORDER=LITTLE_ENDIAN"
> sparc "-DBIG_ENDIAN=4321 -DLITTLE_ENDIAN=1234 -DBYTE_ORDER=BIG_ENDIAN"
> I think this check is working now in 4.4.2 anyway.

If it's not working with the current master branch then it's most likely
broken in 4.4.2, too. Can you grep `/usr/include' for `BYTE_ORDER' and
see if you can find out how to best check for this?

> 3) solaris 10 only collects system, idle and user cpu stats (no more
> i/o) so just use libstatgrab for cpu stats

Oh, those values are read from (static cpu_stat_t).cpu_sysinfo.cpu which
is an array. The defines (or enum members?) CPU_IDLE, CPU_USER,
CPU_KERNEL, and CPU_WAIT are used as indexes for this array. Apparently
instead of CPU_WAIT, Solaris 10 provides W_IO, W_PIO, and W_SWAP.

> (since I prefer collectd to be 32bit for the sake of other plugins
> with external library dependencies)

A statement I don't often hear from Solaris users ;)

> 4) linking against libstatgrab. I use libstatgrab compiled via pkgsrc
> installed to /local/pkg so I add the following to the ./configure invocation
> CPPFLAGS="-I/local/pkg/include" \
> LDFLAGS="-L/local/pkg/lib -R/local/pkg/lib -lstatgrab -lkstat -ldevinfo -lnsl -lsocket"
> \
> --with-libstatgrab=/local/pkg

Didn't
 $ ./configure --with-libstatgrab=/local/pkg $OTHER_OPTIONS
work for you?

> Also attached are some patches for the apache plugin. Recent apaches
> (2.2 onwards or possibly 2.0) have changed the mod_status?auto value
> from BusyServers to BusyWorkers. This patch fixes that and also adds
> the IdleWorkers so open and free slots can be compared. The caveat is
> obviously that it breaks the connection count for older apache
> instances. The patch also adds the apache cpu usage value.

Thanks, I'll apply that in a minute :)