[collectd] Plugin iptables

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Fri Aug 22 08:46:16 CEST 2008

Hi Potros,

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 05:56:04PM +0000, potros potros wrote:
> I must say that i don't know if i must reply to
> "collectd at verplant.org" or where... sorry... :-\

ideally you just ``group reply'' (sometimes also called ``reply to
all''). This will address the mail to the sender (that's me if you reply
to this email) and add all other email addresses to the Cc field. This
has the huge advantage, that people not subscribed to the list still get
the emails regarding their issue.

In case you or anybody else wondered: That's precisely the reason why
the list doesn't set a `Reply-To' header to its own address: If you
group reply to such an email, the sender gets replaced by the list
address and the Cc field will hold the list address, too. People not
subscribed to the mailing list will not get replies to their emails
unless the sender pays close attention.

> And at this time the rrd files are generated, but no information on it
> can been found.

If the RRD files are generated, this means that the daemon has *some*
values - otherwise it wouldn't create the files. So in general the setup
should be fine the way you have it.

What is the notification time of those files? Can you check that for a
couple of minutes and see if they are touched as you'd expect?

Also, it may be worth a try to enable the `csv' plugin to see the `raw'
values - the RRD library may to some complex and sometimes confusing
stuff with the data before it ends up in the archives.. If you do enable
the csv plugin, make sure to set `StoreRates' to false.