[collectd] Debugging network issues

Brian Long brian at dotspots.com
Mon Aug 4 22:50:58 CEST 2008

In my test fleet (a mishmash of linux variants right now), I'm having
trouble getting networking to work. I've verified with tcpdump that udp
traffic is going from the clients to master. However, no rrd's are being
generated on the master for the clients. How can I debug this?

server conf (simplified) -- a.b.c.d is master's ip:

LoadPlugin network

LoadPlugin rrdtool

<Plugin network>

        Listen "a.b.c.d" "9999"

</Plugin>

client conf (simplified):

LoadPlugin cpu

LoadPlugin df

LoadPlugin network

<Plugin network>

        Server "a.b.c.d" "9999"

</Plugin>

iptable commands I ran on master to open 9999 (x.y.z.w is client ip):

iptables -A INPUT -p udp -s x.y.z.w -d a.b.c.d --dport 9999 -j ACCEPT

iptables -A OUTPUT -p udp -d x.y.z.w -s a.b.c.d --sport 9999 -j ACCEPT

(client is open and does not need iptables tweaking right now)

How can one debug this? Is there any kind of debug logging I can apply to
determine if the master is receiving the traffic? With tcpdump, I can verify
that the machine has received the traffic. I don't know if it's making it
through iptables, and if so, why is collectd not taking any action upon
receiving it?

Thanks,

Brian