[collectd] Collectd 4.3.3 on Solaris

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Wed Apr 30 18:39:49 CEST 2008

Hi Richard,

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 02:12:57PM -0500, Richard Shade wrote:
> I am trying to get collectd to run on solaris. I get a failure during
> make.  The error is in make.log, I have also included a config.log for
> reference.
> https://s3.amazonaws.com/rs-test123/make.log
> https://s3.amazonaws.com/rs-test123/config.log

The problem is:
> collectd.h:140:3: #error "Cannot determine byte order"

collectd tries to determine the byte order of the machine it is compiled
for by checking the `BYTE_ORDER' and `BIG_ENDIAN' defines. Apparently at
least one of them isn't defined. Could you check if they're defined in
some header file we don't include? Just do a quick
 $ egrep -r 'BYTE_ORDER|BIG_ENDIAN' /usr/include

If that doesn't yield anything useful, could you search for the `ntohl'
macro/function? Often there's a macro definition that should tell us how
to check for endianess.. The GNU libc, for example, does:
 # if __BYTE_ORDER == __BIG_ENDIAN
That's basically what collectd does, too.