[collectd] collectd patches

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Mon Apr 28 15:41:54 CEST 2008

Hi Oleg,

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 10:14:24PM +0400, Oleg King wrote:
> I'm already wrote about problem with configure (and sent patch for
> this). This problem still unsolved in current version of collectd.

oh, sorry, I forgot about this. Unfortunately we cannot simply link
against libdevstat because there is a libstatgrab - the version that
comes with Debian, for example, doesn't need libdevstat. Also,
apparently there are at least two versions of libdevstat - checking for
just one simbol always breaks at least one of them.

> Additionally, I have not found any calls for devstat functions inside
> of collectd, so I think that libdevstat is used for libstratgrab only.
> Am I right?

That's right.

I think the way to go is to ask libstatgrab what libraries it needs.
This can be done using `pkg-config', like:
 $ pkg-config --libs libstatgrab
Could you run that command on your machine and see (a) if it works and
(b) if it provides all required libraries?

I'll commit a patch for this soon, so you should be able to test the
change using the Git repository in an hour or so.

> And, finally, I want to talk with you about implementing network
> plugin with caching on sending side. Can I talk with you using ICQ, or
> any other messenger? I think that using emails for this will make this
> process too slow to be productive...

We're on IRC in channel #collectd on freenode.org.