[collectd] Segmentation fault using perl plugin

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Thu Sep 27 18:12:08 CEST 2007

Hi Justo,

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 05:49:15PM +0200, Justo Alonso wrote:
>     Two days ago, I wrote to the list about a perl plugin example (thanks,
> again!) but the plugin doesn't  work. When I try the example plugin, the
> write callback function crashes (segfault) collectd daemon. If I comment the
> plugin_register line of TYPE_WRITE, it doesn't crash, but the data is not
> sent to the server. I try

The plugin works fine for me. This is most probably a bug (or yet another
strange system dependent behavior of perl) in the perl plugin (as in perl.so)
but not MyPlugin.pm. Debugging the perl plugin is somewhat awkward. Can you
please generate a core dump and send in the core file, the collectd binary,
perl.so, collectd.conf, MyPlugin.pm (in case you changed anything) and the
output generated by collectd. To generate the core file, you probably have to
do something like the following:

  % ulimit -c unlimited
  % collectd -f > collectd.out 2>&1

It would be very helpful if you recompile collectd with --enable-debug, enable
the logfile plugin and configure it to write to stdout and set the debug level
to "debug".

Thanks in advance.

HTH,