[collectd] exec-plugin permission bug (?)

Philipp Giebel newsletter at amb-net.de
Sun Sep 2 14:54:42 CEST 2007

> Florian Forster schrieb:
>>> collectd correctly changes the user to "rrduser" as I'm telling it,
>>> but the group stays "root" and does'nt change to "rrduser" + "adm" as
>>> it would be correct..
>> actually this behavior is expected, but I can see that using a different
>> group for that might be usefull, too. Since this is hopefully not much
>> work I hope to add this feature to the 4.1 release I plan to release
>> soon..
>
> Cool! I'ld appreciate that very much.

Hi again!

Just 10 Minutes after having received the news about v4.1.0, I compiled
and installed it.. ;)
But: The group of the executing user still isn't getting changed.. Is it
me being dumb or is it really not working..?
I took a look at the source and found some lines about finding the
defined group (format: <user>:<group>), something about changing the
group but when I use the following config-line to enable the exec-script:

  Exec rrduser:adm "/usr/local/bin/rrdscripts/rrd-postfix.sh"

collectd complains:

  Sep  2 00:23:22 localhost collectd[6940]: exec plugin: exec failed:

In his "patch-post" Sebastian is writing somewhere that, when the
group-parameter is omitted at the config-file, the group will
automatically be changed to the users default-group.
So I tried to remove the ":adm" and changed rrdusers default-group to
"4" / "adm" (is this possible anyway..?). Now the script is beeing
executed, but the group stays "root" again..

Please help me - I really need my postfix-stats..

Cheers,
  Philipp