[collectd] bug with process plugin?

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Thu Oct 25 07:38:55 CEST 2007

Hi Łukasz,

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 01:12:58AM +0200, Łukasz Mierzwa wrote:
> I got problem with process plugin, I configured it to collect
> statistics for a given proces and the problem is that when the process
> is using 100% cpu for longer period graphs are not showing it, there
> is only system cpu usage line but no users line (system is about 10%).
> rrd show N/A in cpu user collumn.

what system are you using? There's a limit in the `ps_cputime' RRD files
of 1000000 microseconds per second, which ``ought to be enough for
anybody''.. I assume you're using a system with more than one CPU and
the program you want to collect statistics of uses multiple threas.. In
this scenario I could see the program using more then one second per
second of the CPU..

What you should try is raising the upper limit or disabling it
altogether, using a command like this:
 $ rrdtool tune $FILE -a user:10000000 -a syst:10000000
(You should change 10000000 to some value which is greater than 1000000,
ideally one million multiplied by the number of CPUs in your system.
$FILE must be replaced with the appropriate ps_cputime.rrd-file, of
course.)