[collectd] Using GAUGE values with exec pluggin

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Mon Nov 12 22:21:20 CET 2007

Hi Jean-Francois,

On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 03:23:19PM -0500, jeff nad wrote:
> Being new to collectd and rrdtool,  I tried submitting gauge values via the
> exec pluggin like the exec-smartctl example, but the rrd files contain
> counters.
>
> My script output this every 5 seconds to stdout:
>
> qcaste01/cpu_usage/cpu-user interval=5 N:5
> qcaste01/cpu_usage/cpu-system interval=5 N:12
> qcaste01/cpu_usage/cpu-total interval=5 N:17

The identifier looks like <host>/<plugin>-<p_instance>/<type>-<t_instance>
(see collectd-exec(5)). <host> should be quite self-explanatory. <plugin> and
<p_instance> are basically identifiers to specify convenient names for the
collected data - you can choose whatever you like. <type> is the only part
that has to be taken special care of: it identifies the data set registered
with collectd - the default definitions can be found in the file types.db. In
your case, you're using the type named "cpu" which is defined as a counter
value in types.db. <t_instance>, again, is just a convenient name to
distinguish multiple instances of the same type within the same plugin
instance.

I hope this has not been too confusing... ;-)

> excuse the newbie question....

Don't worry - everyone has to start at some point :-)

Cheers,