[collectd] collectd perl plugins

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Sun May 20 23:14:36 CEST 2007

Hi,

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 12:07:48PM -0400, xavier wrote:
> could you post a small howto for using perl plugins to the collectd mailing
> list ?
>
> something like : version usable (svn/cvs, svn/cvs + patch, version number)
> and a working example ? (an example perl plugin)

To get started with using the perl plugin you can have a look at the example
plugin that's going to be released along with the upcoming collectd-4 Debian
package. You can have a look at it at
http://git.tokkee.org/?p=pkg-collectd.git;a=blob;f=debian/examples/MyPlugin.pm
It should cover the most important aspects. In addition to that, please read
the collectd-perl(5) manpage (or see section "SPECIAL PLUGINS" of collectd(1)
if you're using a version < 4.0.0-rc10).

The perl plugin first appeared in an early release candidate of collectd-4. It
was mostly usable from the beginning, but there have been a couple of nasty
bugs that were fixed since then. Afaik the perl plugin still has not been
tested a lot, so I still consider it to be somewhat experimental. I therefore
recommend that you try to use the most up to date version (currently the git
version and the latest release candidate should work best).

I hope this helps. If you have any comments about MyPlugin.pm please don't
hesitate to share them, so I can improve it further. Also any feedback about
the perl plugin itself is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Sebastian "tokkee" Harl
GnuPG-ID: 0x8501C7FC
http://tokkee.org/