[collectd] collectd dies (sometimes)

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Wed May 9 18:14:56 CEST 2007

Hi,

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 05:02:43PM +0100, Sergiusz Pawlowicz wrote:
> collectd dies sometimes, once day, once a week, i used to manage
> daemons by djb-daemontools, but i do not have them on every box, do
> you think that i can put collectd in inittab, e.g.:
>
> co:345:respawn:/usr/sbin/collectd -f

I'd be much better if you could enable writing of a coredump
(`ulimit -c unlimited`) and, when the daemon dies again, send in the
generated corefile, the binary (../sbin/collectd) and the plugins
(../lib/collectd/*.so), preferably packet in some kind of archive, e. g.
tar.

With these files at hand we can determine _where_ the problem occured
and hopefully fix it, removing the need to respawning the daemon.. ;)