[collectd] Have some minor issues with collectd

Fri Mar 16 09:13:49 CET 2007

Hi Ray,

On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 06:41:05PM -0700, Ray wrote:
> Here what I have for my conf file for my apache server.
>
> I commented out the user and password because the user name in Ubuntu
> is a daemon user and I have no idea what the password would be.

many people are careful when it comes to performance data. So most
people limit the access to the `mod_status' module, e. g. by only
allowing `localhost' or by requiring authorization. You can configure
Apache to require authorization by setting
  require valid-user
and the related `Auth*'-settings. If you do so, you will need to tell
collectd the username and passwort it needs to log into the status page,
and that's what the `User' and `Password' settings are for.

> isis:~$ curl http://localhost/server-status?auto

If you can access the page like this, you don't need authorization, thus
you can savely ignore the `User' and `Password' settings. If you don't
use SSL you can ignore the `CACert'-setting, too. So all you really need
is the `URL'-setting. Try the following configuration:
  <Plugin apache>
    URL http://localhost/server-status?auto
  </Plugin>

> Also I'm getting this in my apache error log every 8 seconds or so.  I'm
> assuming it's collectd related.
>
> [Thu Mar 15 18:37:47 2007] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: /htdocs

If this is actually caused by collectd, then it's most likely a
configuration issue of you Apache webserver. If your problem persists,
maybe you could send the related lines from your Apache config.

> Now I can use the url properly here is a curl output.

This actually looks very promising. Did you find anything in the syslog?
collectd shouldn't fail without any notice..