[collectd] IPTables Module

Fri Mar 2 21:21:03 CET 2007

On 3/2/07, Florian Forster <octo.trailing-username(a)leading-domain.verplant.org> wrote:
> I've thought about an iptables plugin before, but my approach would have
> differed, I think. I would have used the `ULOG' target to select the
> packets I'm interested in and transfer them to userspace, then use
> `libnfnetlink_log' or possibly `ulogd' with the pcap-interface to
> receive the packets and analyze them somehow.

Yeh thought about doing something like this too, but thought you're
only really interested in the actual account values so why bother with
the extra userspace switches when iptables does perfect 64bit counters
for rules already.

> Are the files under `libiptc' really necessary? The Debian-packet
> `iptables-dev' appears to provide those header-files and libraries..

Developed it on my old gentoo machine, no iptables-dev packages there,
but you only really need 2 calls i think, could just as well do the
raw socket connections directly, then you'd only need linux kernel
headers.

Sjoerd,