[collectd] Proposition: Holt-Winters Forecasting

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Wed Jun 27 17:49:52 CEST 2007

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 12:49:48PM +0100, Sergiusz Pawlowicz wrote:
> It looks that collectd lacks interesting possibilities of new
> specialized functions that enable RRDtool to provide data smoothing
> via the Holt-Winters forecasting algorithm.
> This forecasting database enables also confidence bands and flagging
> aberrant behavior in the data source time series.
>
> My proposition is to add them using such a config syntax in plugin
> rrdtool section:
[...]

This seems to be a very special use case. In the future other people might
like to have other options added which will blow up the number of special
configuration options for the rrdtool plugin. I would rather suggest to add a
config option like

  Options <string> [<plugin1> <plugin2> ...]

<string> will simple be added literally to the definition of the rrd file
during creation. If an (optional) list of plugins is provided, only the
specified plugins will be changed.

In my opinion this would be a very powerful (and forward compatible) solution.
People would have to know about the rrdtool syntax but as this addresses only
special cases, people will (or should) know anyway ;-)

Any comments?

Cheers,

Sebastian "tokkee" Harl
GnuPG-ID: 0x8501C7FC