[collectd] SNMP plugin in the next minor version.

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Mon Jun 18 18:27:57 CEST 2007

Hi,

as some of you may have seen in the roadmap[1] the next minor version,
4.1, will include a plugin to query devices using SNMP. This is NOT
intended to be a replacement for the network plugin but a possibility to
get statistics from devices that cannot run collectd themselves, such as
switches, UPSes, rack monitoring systems, etc.

SNMP is a very generic method for accessing data which makes it
challenging to map the SNMP data to a representation in collectd. I hope
the solution I came up with is both, easy to use and powerful enough to
collect all the data you need. A draft of the manpage[2] is on the web.

Any feedback, ideas, comments, bugreports, success stories, etc are
greatly welcome :)

[1] <http://collectd.org/development/roadmap.shtml>
[2] <http://collectd.org/documentation/manpages/collectd-snmp.5.shtml>