[collectd] PluginRetries

Justo Alonso justo.alonso at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 12:22:10 CET 2007

On Dec 9, 2007 12:36 PM, Sebastian Harl <sh at tokkee.org> wrote:

> Hi Justo,

Hi again, Sebastian !

> (Please reply on-list in the future.)

sorry, I forwarded it later .... but you reply soon .. ;-)

> On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 11:56:17AM +0100, Justo Alonso wrote:
> function
> > > is

> 86400).
> > > (like
> > >
> > > What kind of benefit would that be for the user? Any such option
> should
> > > not be
> > > hard to implement but I don't really see any benefits from it (besides
> > > confusing most of the users)...
> >
> > Currently, I'm working on a tomcat plugin (soon I  will send you , I'm
> > testing it). When I need stop the tomcat (not-hot deploy, patchs,
> etc...) I
> > need restart collectd. With a 30 seconds interval .. if I stop the
> tomcat by
> > 180 seconds, I have a no-stats period of 480-960 seconds .. ;-(
>
> So, do you need it for testing purposes only? In this case you could
> simply
> make sure, the tomcat read callback returns 0 in all cases.

Not, not for testing ... In production environment, some times, you need
stop the service (apache, mysql, tomcat, etc..), for new versions, not
hot-deploys, rotate logs, etc... Now, with the collectd increase interval
method, I need restart the collectd daemon. Not only this plugin .. all
plugins that connect to the service,  if you stop the service for a short
time, you stop the stats for a medium-large time.

> Else it might make more sense (as this seems to be a tomcat-specific
> issue) to
> add an option (to the plugin configuration) to ignore the case when tomcat
> cannot be contacted and return 0 from the read callback in that case. Does
> this sound reasonable to you? Maybe you want to send in a pre-release of
> your
> plugin so we can already have a look at it and discuss it in more detail.

I think that this issue is not plugin specific.  Ok ... I will start a new
list thread with the plugin.

> > > Hum... making this configurable on a per plugin base would make things
> > > somewhat complex - I'm not sure if it's worth the efforts.
> >
> > Maybe a new callback function on the plugin ... interval( int mode, int
> > seconds ). If the callback function is not NULL, when need the interval
> we
> > call to interval function with PLUGIN_INTERVAL_GET mode ... when we need
> > increase interval call it with PLUGIN_INTERVAL_INCREASE mode and when we
> > need reset interval (read function ok), call it with
> PLUGIN_INTERVAL_RESET
> > mode .... If the callback function is NULL all work at this time.
>
> This adds a lot of complexity for (imho) very little benefit. As Florian
> already pointed out, this is not going to happen.

It's ok ... Nobody on the maillist support me, and Florian and you say not
... It's ok .. maybe I'm the only with interest on this issue.

> > tia, and sorry for my english ;-)
>
> Don't worry - most of us are (I believe) non-native speakers ;-)

Yes, but I seem to sitting bull ... ;-)