[collectd] PluginRetries

Justo Alonso justo.alonso at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 12:05:15 CET 2007

On Dec 5, 2007 8:41 PM, Sebastian Harl <sh at tokkee.org> wrote:

> Hi Justo,

Hi Sebastian,

> On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 04:54:17PM +0100, Justo Alonso wrote:
> >     when a plugin read fail, "The time between the calls of the function
> is
> > increased exponentially until one day (86400 seconds)". Maybe a
> > "PluginRetries" global parameter can be useful.
> >
> >    Two option (I think) ...
> >          - First, an integer to the max seconds (now hardcoded 86400).
> >          - Second option is a string with a increment especification
> (like
> > at mail queue runner), p.e. "F,2h,15m; G,16h,1h,1.5; F,4d,6h" ....
>
> What kind of benefit would that be for the user? Any such option should
> not be
> hard to implement but I don't really see any benefits from it (besides
> confusing most of the users)...

Currently, I'm working on a tomcat plugin (soon I  will send you , I'm
testing it). When I need stop the tomcat (not-hot deploy, patchs, etc...) I
need restart collectd. With a 30 seconds interval .. if I stop the tomcat by
180 seconds, I have a no-stats period of 480-960 seconds .. ;-(

> >    And .. this configuration per plugin ??
>
> Hum... making this configurable on a per plugin base would make things
> somewhat complex - I'm not sure if it's worth the efforts.

Maybe a new callback function on the plugin ... interval( int mode, int
seconds ). If the callback function is not NULL, when need the interval we
call to interval function with PLUGIN_INTERVAL_GET mode ... when we need
increase interval call it with PLUGIN_INTERVAL_INCREASE mode and when we
need reset interval (read function ok), call it with PLUGIN_INTERVAL_RESET
mode .... If the callback function is NULL all work at this time.

umm

> Cheers,
> Sebastian

tia, and sorry for my english ;-)