[collectd] mysql - multiple engines

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sat Dec 8 12:16:21 CET 2007

Hi Matthias,

On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 10:33:43AM +0100, Hirsch-Hoffmann  Matthias wrote:
> My major problem is now, that I run multiple MySQL daemons on the same
> CPU. Of course I'd like to monitor all of them. But the current mysql
> plugin does not allow this and does not have the parameter to specify
> a tcp-port or socket-file... Perhaps is a future release?

if you have a patch, sure, send it in :) I'd prefer something along the
lines:
- Add a new `Instance' (or whatever) block inside the <Plugin  mysql>
  block (for that you'd have to use the ``complex configuration''
  callback) which specifies the instance to monitor.
- If no instance is defined the behavior must be the same as it is now
  to preserve backwards compatibility.
- The configuration could look somewhat like this:
  <Plugin "mysql">
    <Instance "myinstance">
      Host "localhost"
      Port "3306"
    </Instance>
    <Instance "otherinst">
      Host "localhost"
      Port "3307"
    </Instance>
  </Plugin>
- The plugin-instance should then be set to `myinstance' or `otherinst'
  or left empty in the default case (no Instance-block).