[collectd] 4.2.1 on Solaris 10

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Thu Dec 6 08:10:36 CET 2007

Good morning ;)

On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 07:36:10PM -0500, Christophe Kalt wrote:
> Solaris gives you the choice between various standards, it's a matter
> of picking something the right define indeed.  This stuff is well
> documented in standards(5).

Thanks for the pointer, I'll take a look. Maybe picking the right
standard could be done automatically then ;)

> No.. autoconf #defines just trigger this in the OS include
> files.  On Solaris, lf64(5) and company explain this.

Okay, I'll take a look at that, too.

> Well, now that i think about it a bit more, there's another solution,
> but not one i find especially appealing either unless you're ready to
> commit to the effort it'll take. Build a 64 bit binary.

That might be the difference we're looking for: I always build 64bit
binaries on Solaris since that Solaris guy told me that anything but
64bit is lame on Solaris.. Here's how I run ./configure:
-- 8< --
 nice ./configure --prefix=/home/octo/tmp --with-rrdtool=/home/octo/usr \
   --enable-debug CC=cc CXX=CC \
   CFLAGS="-xarch=v9 -xO5 -D_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS" | tee config.out
-- >8 --
Important are, of course, only CC, CXX and CFLAGS. `cc' is
``cc: Sun C 5.7 2005/01/07'', `CC' is the corresponding C++-compiler and
only there to make the autotools happy.

To make sure that I haven't introduced a new bug in the latest release
I've just rebuild the daemon with the above configure line and it
compiled without an error.