[collectd] 4.2.1 on Solaris 10

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Wed Dec 5 21:54:45 CET 2007

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 03:36:33PM -0500, Christophe Kalt wrote:
> On Dec 05, Sebastian Harl wrote:
> | _FILE_OFFSET_BITS gets defined by the AC_SYS_LARGEFILE autoconf macro, thus
> | I'd consider this to be a bug in autoconf. As a temporary workaround we could
> | disable the macro for Solaris - that'll be a bad hack though, which I don't
> | really like.
> |
> | You should file a bug against autoconf (I assume you're using GNU autoconf).
>
> I'm using the configure script that is shipped by collectd.
> Granted, i didn't bother to look at this in detail as
> disabling that particular plugin is quick & easy.  But other
> things compile just fine, so saying that it's an autoconf bug
> may be a bit premature.

Well, imho it sounds like a bug in AC_SYS_LARGEFILE which should imho check if
_FILE_OFFSET_BITS has already been defined in some other place...

> |        Can you please check how "swap -s" gets the values on Solaris? Forking
> | a process each interval is a rather bad idea...
>
> Easy, it calls swapctl(2); but unlike collectd, swap(1M) does
> not also need LFS support.  I agree that forking constantly
> is not a good idea, but the only choice you have here (as far
> as i can tell) is to either fork each interval, or have a
> separate daemon process.
> My quick read of the collectd 4 docs seem to indicate the
> latter can easily be achieved with the exec and unixsock
> plugins, but what i was saying is that it'd be nicer if
> collectd did that transparently.

Well, read "it is a rather bad idea" as "it's not going to happen" ;-) There
has to be some nice way to solve this. I will have a look at the appropriate
sources to check why it complains about LFS - I don't have a lot of spare time
though, so that might take some time :-/ So, please don't hesitate to come up
with some better solutions in the meantime ;-)

Cheers,