[collectd] exec-plugin permission bug (?)

Philipp Giebel newsletter at amb-net.de
Tue Aug 28 10:47:54 CEST 2007

Hi there,

some days ago, I started using collectd 4.0.6 on debian etch
(self-compiled via checkinstall..) and yesterday, I started
rewriting my data-gathering-scripts from mrtg to collectd-exec.
One of these scripts needs to read /var/log/syslog.
So I created a user "rrduser" and added him to the group "adm", so he
has access to the logfile..

collectd correctly changes the user to "rrduser" as I'm telling it, but
the group stays "root" and does'nt change to "rrduser" + "adm" as it
would be correct..

I just added two lines to my script:

whoami >>/root/foo
groups >>/root/foo

and this tells me:

rrduser
root

So... Is it a bug or me being stupid..? ;)

Cheers,
  Philipp

*edit*
Oh my.. Hope my last mail did'nt come thru.. It was incomplete and from
  a wrong sender.. :-I Sorry...