[collectd] Segfaults with collectd 4.0.5 on RHEL 4 U5 x86_64

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Mon Aug 6 23:30:11 CEST 2007

Hi Ulf,

On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 11:28:37AM -0700, Ulf Zimmermann wrote:
> I had two systems where collected died this weekend.

do I understand that right that it did work for some time? Those bugs
are of the especially nasty kind :/

Since this typo of problem is very hard to reproduce, the best change
you've got is to (re)build collectd with debugging symbols enabled
(./configure --enable-debug $OTHER_OPTS), enable the creation of a
corefile (ulimit -c unlimited, or similar, depending on your shell) and
``hope'' that the issue hits once more.

> Aug  4 04:11:09 dbprd01 kernel: collectd[8452]: segfault at
> 0000000000000000 rip 0000002a993346d0 rsp 0000000042802300 error 4

This isn't of much use, I'm afraid.. What we need to know is the
position in the code, not the position in memory. The debugging symbols
will provide the neccesary glue here. If you have a binary with
debugging symbols and you have a corresponding corefile, the bug should
get it's warm underwear ;)

> My version of collectd only has a limited number of plugins compiled
> and in the rpm, which are cpu, csv (actually going to take that one
> out too), df, disk, exec, interfaces, iptables, irq, load, logfile,
> memory, network, perl, processes, rrdtool, swap, syslog and unixsock.

Do you use all of these plugins? If so, could you give me a short
feedback what you use them for, especially the `exec', `perl' and
`unixsock' plugins?

Plugins you don't use right now can be disabled without losing
functionality. But since they're not actually used it's unlikely that
that you can get rid of the bug in that way..

If you need any help let me know, or visit us in IRC :)