[collectd] Device names in collection.cgi for hddtemp and df graphs?

Tue Apr 10 16:28:34 CEST 2007

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 04:55:18PM +0300, Aggelos Orfanakos wrote:
> For my case, renaming the appropriate RRD files seems to be enough
> (e.g.  disk-3-0.rrd becomes disk-hda.rrd on my system). This is what
> you mean when saying breaking backwards compatibility or are there
> other implications I'm not aware of?

`backwards compatibility' is defined from a user's point of view. It
should be possible to install a new (minor) version, restart the daemon
and everything that used to work still should work. If an RRD-file needs
to be renamed or the config needs to be changed, that's not backwards
compatible.
You can find a more detailed explanation here:
<http://collectd.org/faq.shtml#faq:version_numbers>

> > Version 4 already does use the disk-name as `type instance'. If you
> > don't have many RRD-files with much data in them and you don't want
> > to use collectd in a production environment, it's be easiest if
> > you'd use the new version and save yourself from having to migrate a
> > lot of data.  ;)
>
> Since I've been running collectd for about two days, there isn't much
> data to lose so I might try that.

Great :) The more bugs are found before the release the better ;)