[collectd] compile problems on freebsd

Tue Apr 10 16:09:16 CEST 2007

Hi Ventsislav,

On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 04:30:43PM +0300, Ventsislav Velkov wrote:
> In file included from utils_dns.c:58:
> /usr/include/net/if_arp.h:88: error: field `arp_pa' has incomplete type
> /usr/include/net/if_arp.h:89: error: field `arp_ha' has incomplete type

argh, not that problem again.. The problem here is that the files
`net/*.h' and `netinet/*.h' need to be included in a precise order
because they don't include the files they need themselves. I thought I
had figured it out since it's working for Linux (GNU libc), Solaris and
Mac OS X (Darwin), but apparently the UNIX-community has been even more
creative than usually.

I'll see if I can get access to a FreeBSD box somehow, iIrc a colleague
has some FreeBSD somewhere. Maybe you could try the following in the
meantime: Find the following three lines in `src/utils_dns.c'
-- 8< --
 #if HAVE_SYS_SOCKET_H
 # include <sys/socket.h>
 #endif
-- >8 --
and move them BEFORE the following lines:
-- 8< --
 #if HAVE_NET_IF_ARP_H
 # include <net/if_arp.h>
 #endif