[collectd] Bugreport: Collectd is rising load dramatically

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sat Sep 16 10:51:28 CEST 2006

Hi Johannes,

On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 10:30:52PM +0200, Johannes oetzi Ott wrote:
> when starting collectd the load rises up to a constant level above 3.0
> and an average of about 9.0. Yesterday load  wents up to about 60.0

that's weird, with collectd being a single-thread (/-process) daemon it
shouldn't rise the load by more then one, ever. So my guess is that it's
blocking or slowing another process, however that should work..

With a load at around 60 it should be quite cozy on the run-quere. Could
you check which commands/processes are waiting to be run? An easy method
of doing that is (with the GNU `ps'):
 $ ps ax -o state,command | egrep '^R'

Also, please try disabling all plugins and try all plugins successively
by themselves. I've heard faint complaints about the `ntpd' plugin
(``Didn't work, so I disabled it and didn't bother''), so you might want
to try that one first.

> I think that there is a problem with amd64 dualcore cpu of the server.

That I doubt very much. I know that collectd runs on machines with many
more CPUs, so _that_ isn't a problem. Also, 64bit processors are no
problem either, so I don't see why the architecture should play any role
in this..