[collectd] ntpd plugin complaining

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sat Oct 28 09:45:57 CEST 2006

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 03:09:25PM +0200, Lubo?? Stan??k wrote:
> > That'd be my fault, I'm afraid.. Why's that error occuring in your case?
> > AF_INET6 should be supported by pretty much all operating systems now -
> > even that evil one ;)

> Everything I cannot handle is evil. :)

I smell yet another proof for the evilness of women.. *smirk*

> 1) The system is configured for only IPV4, module ipv6 is disabled.
> /etc/modprobe.conf - alias net-pf-10 off
> /ets/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<interface> - IPV6INIT=no
> Module ipv6 is not loaded.
> ntpd does not listen on ::#123.
> Every 10 seconds collectd[*]: ntpd plugin: getnameinfo failed: ai_family
> not supported.

That is surprising, because `getnameinfo' is only ever called if one of
ntpd's peers has the `v6_flag' set. However, no explicit address family
is passed to `getnameinfo', but it examines the `struct sockaddr', which
is provided by the NTP-daemon.

> Oct 27 14:56:03 ls collectd[23815]: rrd_update failed:
>   ntpd/time_offset-0.0.0.0.rrd: illegal attempt to update using time
>   1161953762 when last update time is 1161953762 (minimum one second
>   step)

The problem here appears to be, that the peer could not be resolved. At
least it's not normal, that the IP-address 0.0.0.0 is being used.

All in all I have the suspicion that your ntpd is returning funky data.
Could you tell me which version you're using and if the following
command works:
  ntpdc -c peers localhost