[collectd] Idea - caching rrd_update_file() calls for configurable time

Luboš Staněk lubek at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Oct 26 18:52:27 CEST 2006

Hi Florian,

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 05:41:03PM +0200, Lubo?? Stan??k wrote:
>> I have an idea to cache calls to rrd_update_file() and flush all at once
>> after a configurable time.
>> Does it sound reasonable?
>
> I've though about this, too, but likely with a different goal in mind:
> My goal was/is to combine multiple data-readings in one UDP-packet.
>
> Just out of curiosity: Why would you want to write to the RRD-files in
> bursts?
>
> Regards,
> -octo

My reason is different.

I thought about a server with a bunch of clients. The server almost
constantly receives data and writes to the disk.

What about setting up client to send the full collection of
measurements? The client knows all plugins and can wait for all submits
and send the whole batch at once.
The server can wait for a number of batches or for a defined time before
writing collected data to disk.

BTW: What was the reason to use unreliable UDP for data transfers?

Best regards,
Lubos