[collectd] 3.10.1 - proposed patch to extend sensors plugin

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sun Oct 22 17:48:27 CEST 2006

Hi Lubos,

On Sun, Oct 22, 2006 at 03:34:14PM +0200, Lubo?? Stan??k wrote:
> I reviewed the collectd functions and discovered, that the sensors
> plugin requires several modifications.

thanks for your patch :) There's a little problem though: Through the
mail transport your patch was messed up and doesn't apply. Could you
re-send it as an attachment, please?

> - honor sensors.conf's ignore
>   Do not gather data for ignored sensors.
> - config Ignore option
>   The collectd daemon can be instructed to ignore other sensors.

Wouldn't it be reasonable, to do this the way it's done in the `traffic'
plugin, i. e. have two config keys?:
- `Sensor' to select the sensors that are interesting
- `IgnoreSelected' to invert the selection

> Warning!
> The collectd will create new differently named .rrds according to the
> new naming scheme and start gather data there. The old .rrds will
> remain in the data directory. If you want to continue with previous
> .rrds, rename old files according to the new scheme.

I don't like the current scheme, but since I regard changed filenames as
`not backwards compatible' I didn't change it yet. The new
filename-scheme should be like this:
  lm_sensors/temperature-%s.rrd
  lm_sensors/fanspeed-%s.rrd
  lm_sensors/voltage-%s.rrd

The instance should propably be `<chip>-<feature>', e. g.
`w83781d-i2c-0-2d-temp2'.

Please note that I will keep the patch for the next major version,
unless it won't happen within the next few months, due to the different
filenames. However, I hope to have version four done in some reasonable
time..