[collectd] collectd-ping: will not retry hostname lookup after startup

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Fri Oct 20 09:30:23 CEST 2006

Hi,

Forwarded message from Simon Richter <sjr at debian.org>
> as collectd starts early, the network is not yet fully configured at
> this point (autonegotiation still running etc.). So name lookup does
> not properly work at this point. The ping plugin then gives up and
> does not record any data.

that problem should be possible to handle: We just try to add the host
in increasing intervals, as Sebastian suggested, too.

> Using the IP address would not solve the problem, as the data is
> recorded in a file that is named after the reverse lookup for the IP
> address, so it would be named differently depending on whether lookup
> is available or not.

Since we need to have a list of hosts within the ping-plugin for the
first point, storing the name that was used in the configfile in there
shouldn't be a big issue. That name could then be used to generate the
filename, preventing problems with changing/RR-reverse lookups as well.

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 02:28:25PM +0200, Sebastian Harl wrote:
> However, this would block collectd. Thus, the call to ping_add_host
> should be moved to the ping plugin's init function (which Imho is the
> correct place anyway) as it is called after forking to the background.

Right, doing the lookup while parsing the configfile is not the best way
of doing this..

I'll have a look at this..