[collectd] Re: New plugin "email" to collectd ham, spam, ... statistics

Tue Nov 28 20:02:55 CET 2006

Hi Lubos,

On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 05:52:07PM +0100, Stan??k Lubo?? wrote:
> now we can see the threading solution in real. :)

yes, I'm looking forward to take a peek at it, too :)

> Could you provide some example to start from?
> I am currently trying to accommodate 'swatch' but I am not fluent in
> perl scripting and log parsing.

Are you talking about <http://swatch.sourceforge.net/>? What does it
have to do with that plugin?

> > /* e-mail type (e.g. ham, spam, virus, ...) and size */
> > e:<type>:<bytes>
>
> Could we split it to incoming/outgoing?
>
> I am also using a 'greylist' filter.
> Could we also collect greylist's connection checks
> (SPF-compliant/autowhitelisted/delayed) or something similar?

See, Sebastian, I _knew_ someone would want that ;)

Lubos, that's why I waskes Sebastian to not hardcode the type in the
plugin. If you want to differenciate incoming and outgoing mail, you
will need to submit something like this:
  e:incoming:1234
  e:outgoing:2345

With graylisting and SPF and stuff, you could submit something like
this:
  e:inc_graylisted:...
  e:inc_spf_failed:...
  e:inc_virus:...
  e:inc_dsbl:...
  etc.

> I think that the line buffer limit is not big enough.
> I am using my own special SpamAssassin rules with longer names and
> also several SARE rules (http://www.rulesemporium.com/) and the list
> of spam checks can be really long. I checked my maillog for several
> days and the list of checks approximates to 230 with spikes over 290.

As far as I understood what's going on, this is only used to increase a
counter for the specified rule. So you need to break the line after 256
characters, which shouldn't be a big deal. Also, increasing the
buffersize to 1024 shouldn't be a problem. However, there will always be
someone who needs `n+1' bytes.

All in all: Thank you very much for writing this, Sebastian. I'm excited
to see it in action :) How's the SpamAssassin-Plugin coming along?