[collectd] Is there any possibility to hide the address in the web archive?

Stanek Lubos kolektor at atlas.cz
Mon Nov 27 12:18:15 CET 2006

Hi Florian,
as you can see, I have created special mail account to fight with
collectd mailing list spam. I will inform you immediately after getting
the first spam.

>I've chaned the mailman archiving script to insert some garbage in the
>form of `<span style="display: none;">garbage</span>', hoping that no
>address harvesting robot has implemented CSS2 yet ;)

This is not what I meant.
There is an extract from the archived message's html page:
----- snip ------
   <h1>[collectd] Is there any possibility to hide the address in the
	web archive?</h1>

    <b>Florian Forster</b>
    <a
href="mailto:collectd%40verplant.org?Subject=%5Bcollectd%5D%20Is%20there%20any%20possibility%20to%20hide%20the%20address%20in%20the%0A%09web%20archive%3F&amp;In-Reply-To=4569D822.7010609%40users.sourceforge.net"
title="[collectd] Is there any possibility to hide the address in the
	web archive?">here at verplant.org
       </a><br>
    <i>Sun Nov 26 20:20:00 CET 2006</i>
----- snip ------
You can see your address (slightly modified) inside <a> tags in the
clear text, e.g. no CSS, no scripting, simply readable text. It is an
easy target for robots and harvesters.

>> I am getting very large amount of garbage into my mailbox from the
>> time of registering into this list. It could be also caused by any
>> malware at some subscriber.
>
>If the time of your subscription and the time your mail volume
>increased match closely, then I think the malware assumption is more
>likely. Just a guess, though.
>
>> Maybe I will get limitedly unconfined connection some day to host my
>> own domain. It is not currently possible. I can get only indefinitely
>> limited connection for a reasonable price.
>
>Isn't unlimited connectivity somewhat better? Or did I missunderstand
>you?

It was a joke. My possible ISPs market their offer as unlimited which
means strictly limited by throughput, speed, aggregation, no fixed IP
and so on. Yes, I can obtain the symmetric high speed connection but for
the price of 1/3 of my salary. It is not adequate to run my own mail
server with filtering capabilities.

Best regards,
Lubos