[collectd] Generalized ignorelist functionality

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sat Nov 25 10:38:00 CET 2006

Hi Lubos,

On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 12:29:36PM +0100, Lubo?? Stan??k wrote:
> The current version is satisfactory. The users simply continue using
> 'string' identification and use '/regex/' when they need it. The regex
> entry is intuitive enough due to the '//' delimiters as it is used by
> many other tools.

I guess so. I'm not so happy that slashes inside the regex don't need to
be escaped, but I think they _may_ be escaped, which is good enough ;)

> Release a new version with the current implementation and we will see
> the feedback.

This is ecactly what I don't want to do. There's hardly anything more
annoying than an interface that's changing regularly. And I don't like
good interfaces with bad things in them, to not break backwards
compatibility either. So I'd like to do it right right from the start ;)

> I do not want to stand for other users in our two man show. :)

It's always better to get at least one other opinion than to simply do
it somehow and then learn that you missed an (important) aspect ;)

> I have thought about parameter checking tool that would load config
> file and plugins the same way the daemon would do and run one step
> without calling plugins' write(). The one step would report all on
> 'stderr'. All means every collectable entry, result of ignorelist
> match, all errors and so on.

I don't know. This sound like a lot of work. Doing a syntactic check
shouldn't be a problem, but actually checking the meaning of the
configuration is propably next to impossible.

If I run `apache2ctl -t' they only do a syntactic check, too. I have to
take care of the correctness of `<FilesMatch ...>' sections myself.