[collectd] failure :( caused by the network malfunction

Luboš Staněk lubek at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Nov 23 19:18:03 CET 2006

Hi,
I am running the latest git master on several computers. This type of
failure occurs in any version though.

I did not expect such behaviour, although it is obvious.

The computer, I discovered the collectd failure, is connected through a
cable modem with speed 4mbps/512kbps.
The collectd is running in 'Local' mode and it is configured with these
plugins:
LoadPlugin apache
LoadPlugin cpu
LoadPlugin df
LoadPlugin disk
LoadPlugin hddtemp
LoadPlugin load
LoadPlugin memory
LoadPlugin nfs
LoadPlugin ntpd
LoadPlugin ping
LoadPlugin processes
LoadPlugin sensors
LoadPlugin swap
LoadPlugin traffic
LoadPlugin users
Plugin apache is configured for localhost, ping is configured for 2
external hosts, ntpd is configured with 8 external time sources.

The modem started to fail at approximately 13:48:22, completely died
between 15:04:10-15:04:20. It occurs infrequently, probably when its
address table overflows (my guess). I found out the network troubles and
restarted it at approximately 16:16:26.

The collectd was not able to to gather any data from plugins due to
network timeouts.

If anyone is interested in viewing results,
I have attached the collectd.log, dump of the cpu-0.rrd with the excerpt
of data around troubles.

Best regards,
Lubos