[collectd] Generalized ignorelist functionality

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Tue Nov 21 17:07:20 CET 2006

Hi Lubos,

thanks for you patches :) Please send them to the mailinglist in the
future, though. If they are bigger then 40k (and are held back by the
moderation filter) they should be split up in multiple patches ;)

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 01:03:51PM +0100, Lubo?? Stan??k wrote:
> I cannot get rid of the suspicion that some 'strings' cannot work as
> 'regexes' right without prefixing particular characters.

right, you need to escape special characters if you literally mean the
characters. But all the common characters (A-Z, a-z, 0-9, slash, hyphen,
underscore, ...) don't have any special meaning. I don't expect this to
be a problem, if it's documented in the manpage.

Another thing might be confusing: If you want a regex to match the
entire string, you need to say so. People might write `hda' and expect
to only get the string that is exactly `hda', while in fact they will
also get `hda1' or `catchdanger'.

Another possibility just crossed my mind: We could explicitely mark
literal strings, e. g. by enclosing them in double-quotes. This would
mean, that the following two lines mean the same thing:
  "foobar"
  ^foobar$

> I changed the df plugin to provide more 'debug' information because I
> could not get it working initially.
> Lately I discovered that the IgnoreSelected is not processed right and
> that the 'Device' points to another structure member.

I see the problem in the config-code. I've fixed it in the repository,
thanks for the hint :)