[collectd] Monitoring itself

Luboš Staněk lubek at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Nov 13 17:09:35 CET 2006

Hi Sebastian,
have a look at my next message. There are several graphs of no value.

Sebastian Harl napsal(a):
> Hi Lubos,
>
> On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 05:33:26PM +0100, Lubo?? Stan??k wrote:
>> I will probably get the reputation of the permanent nagger. :)
>
> I wouldn't call filing an RFC an act of nagging ;-)

Thanks for your mercy. :)

>> I have thought about monitoring the collectd server itself. The
>> interesting stats would be the time spent in the plugin's read and write
>> functions in the local mode or network load in the server mode.
>
> Hum... in my humble opinion using a profiler is much better suited for this. I
> cannot image any reason for permanently monitoring that kind of data. It is
> only needed for debugging/optimizing purposes.

Of course, profiler is better for optimizing purposes.
I meant it to have some performance information about plugins in the
real time.
For instance I could measure if all plugins are able to get stats in the
COLLECTD_STEP time. And maybe disable some of them due to the stats results.

>> It could be configurable by the configure script in both non- and debug
>> build.
>
> I don't get the point why this should be made configurable thru the configure
> script. Any plugin can be disabled in the configuration file (collectd.conf).
> Only built-in features should be configured on build time.

Like DEBUG options are only available in the DEBUG build.

> Cheers,
> Sebastian

Best regards,
Lubos