[collectd] Compiling on HP-UX/Solaris

Jeff Haney jah at clan-rum.org
Tue Nov 7 21:48:51 CET 2006

Hi octo,

No, I googled too and couldn't find anything :)  I support the Unix
systems that one of our biggest applications runs on here at work.  The
Solaris 6 systems run the old, although current production, version of
the app.  A new system is in development that runs on HP-UX and Linux.
So all the Solaris systems are basically frozen, don't want to bother
with or disturb them in any major way.  Just continue to support them
until the new system goes live.  Nothing against Solaris of course, that
just happens to be what the old system runs on.  The decision on which
hardware and OS platform to use for the new system was made before I
ever got here.  Since I've only been here a few months I can't say why
the Solaris systems were allowed to get so old without an update...

Concerning HP-UX, after starting up my collectd client and then having a
look at /var/lib/collectd on my collectd server I suddenly remembered
(after seeing only "df-" files) that HP-UX doesn't use procfs and that
might be a problem for collectd. Doh!  Oh well, it looks like only my
Linux systems will have all the nice system stat graphs.  I'll have to
come up with a less elegant way of graphing maybe some CPU and memory
stats from HP-UX and Solaris...  Thanks for all your help octo, I really
love the way collectd works!

-jeff