[collectd] Exporting the collectd's loop variable for plugins

Luboš Staněk lubek at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Nov 6 21:01:47 CET 2006

Hi Florian,

Florian Forster napsal(a):
> On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 03:58:22PM +0100, Lubo?? Stan??k wrote:
>> I consider it important because the collectd plugin is the slowest
>> ending daemon (in the time the step is actually running). If we increase
>> number of plugins, it will shut down several tenths of seconds in the
>> worst case waiting for all plugins to fulfill the collect step.
>
> I'll follow up on this with a patch. I'd apprechiate your opinion(s).

I have backported it to 3.10.3 an tried it on the same machine.
The stop and restart is visibly faster. I think that it will suffice for
some time. I would appreciate having the loop check in the time
consuming plugins also.

There is the plugin's cleanup function remaining. :)

I know that the you have worked hard shutting up complaining plugins but
it would be good to see messages like:
"daemon started successfully"
and possibly:
"plugin xxx initialized successfully"
and similar.

>>> You make me curious ;)
>> It has appeared in the discussions also.
>> It is the bind9 statistical output (See the BIND Administrators
>> Reference Manual, Chapter 6, point 6.2.14.15.).
>
> I've been writing an dns-plugin, that catches dns-packets using
> `libpcap' and analyzes them with some code, borrowed from `dnstop'. I'll
> push the patch to the repository for you to look at, if you like.

Interesting.
It will probably work with any DNS server unlike my bind9 plugin. :(

>> I do not want to collect what information clients are querying but the
>> server's load. The server can split global statistics for zones and
>> views and one interesting statistical output is about querying the
>> chaos class if you enable it.
>
> I'm not sure in understand in detail, what your plugin does, but I'll
> let you surprise me ;)
>
> Regards,
> -octo

Best regards,