[collectd] Exporting the collectd's loop variable for plugins

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Mon Nov 6 19:31:42 CET 2006

On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 03:58:22PM +0100, Lubo?? Stan??k wrote:
> I consider it important because the collectd plugin is the slowest
> ending daemon (in the time the step is actually running). If we increase
> number of plugins, it will shut down several tenths of seconds in the
> worst case waiting for all plugins to fulfill the collect step.

I'll follow up on this with a patch. I'd apprechiate your opinion(s).

> > > BTW I am writing one. :)
> > You make me curious ;)
> It has appeared in the discussions also.
> It is the bind9 statistical output (See the BIND Administrators
> Reference Manual, Chapter 6, point 6.2.14.15.).

I've been writing an dns-plugin, that catches dns-packets using
`libpcap' and analyzes them with some code, borrowed from `dnstop'. I'll
push the patch to the repository for you to look at, if you like.

> I do not want to collect what information clients are querying but the
> server's load. The server can split global statistics for zones and
> views and one interesting statistical output is about querying the
> chaos class if you enable it.

I'm not sure in understand in detail, what your plugin does, but I'll
let you surprise me ;)