[collectd] Exporting the collectd's loop variable for plugins

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sun Nov 5 20:08:08 CET 2006

On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 07:07:56PM +0100, Lubo?? Stan??k wrote:
> Well, the callback functions only handle the need to clean up the
> plugin's resources which would be good of course. It does not break
> the plugin's reading/submitting/writing process.

The idea behind the `loop' variable was to not break the process. You
could, of course, pass a reference to `loop' to `plugin_read_all' and
let it check if the termination has been initiated before calling each
plugins read-function. But I don't quite see _why_ this would be an
advantage yet. It speeds up the shutdown process, but why's that good/
important?

> The collect step time requirements will increase with more plugins.

I'm afraid so. Since most of that is IO (or at least I hope it is IO)
threads could significantly speed up one collection cycle. There has
been quite some discussion a while back, but nothing has been done in
this direction yet.

> BTW I am writing one. :)

You make me curious ;)

> I am getting also "Not sleeping because `timeval_sub_timespec'
> returned non-zero!" on a slower machine during cron.daily jobs and
> probably clamav scans.

That doesn't sound good :/