[collectd] Re: collectd client/server mode

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Wed May 24 17:41:26 CEST 2006

Hi Matthew,

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 09:12:32AM -0500, Matthew Koch wrote:
> Just a couple quick questions regarding collectd. I've been looking for
> something like this for quite a while for a lightweight way to monitor
> bandwidth on multiple remote hosts. I set it up on 5 remote sites, but I
> was wondering if there is an issue with multiple clients connecting to
> the server. Is the server designed to handle multiple incoming requests?
> I seem to be missing data in all my graphs and I assume it is because
> only one client can connect at a time. Can you shed any light on the
> subject?

the data is sent in UDP datagramms. This means that no `connection' is
established and the number of clients the server can handle is only
limited by your hardware (hopefully your connection speed).

I don't know how well it scales in reality though. I have it currently
running with 3-6 clients without any problems. It doesn't use much cpu
time, so I think 100 clients shouldn't be a challenge either. But that's
just my estimate. Maybe someone on the list can comment on this?

As far as your missing data goes: How long are the gaps? How often do
they appear? Also, since UDP is connectionless the data transport is
unreliable. Check for correlations between the gaps and high network
utilization.. You could also monitor the incoming packages and check if
they arrive at the server. If packages arrive and there are still bugs
in the graph it's most likely a bug in collectd, though I hope not ;)

Please let me know if you find the problem or any further hints.