[collectd] Compile problem on Fedora Core 5 64bit

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Tue May 2 00:14:36 CEST 2006

Hi Daniel,

here, in the call to `libtool', the link-flags are still okay (note the
`-lidn'):
-- 8< --
  /bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=link gcc -Wall -Werror -g -O2
  -o apache.la -rpath /opt/collectd/lib/collectd -module -avoid-version
  -L/usr/kerberos/lib64 - lcurl -ldl -lgssapi_krb5 -lkrb5 -lk5crypto
  -lkrb5support -lcom_err -lresolv -lidn -lssl -lcrypto -lz apache.lo
-- >8 --

`libtool' then calls `gcc' to link the previously compiled object file
`.libs/apache.o' into a shared object. In this call the `-lidn' argument
has been substituted with `/usr/lib/libidn.so':
-- 8< --
  gcc -shared  .libs/apache.o  -L/usr/kerberos/lib64 -lcurl -ldl
  -lgssapi_krb5 -lk rb5 -lk5crypto -lkrb5support -lcom_err -lresolv
  /usr/lib/libidn.so -lssl -lcrypt o -lz  -Wl,-soname -Wl,apache.so
  -o .libs/apache.so
-- >8 --

I have absolutely no idea why libtool does this and don't know how to
fix it.. A quick and dirty workaround would be to compile everything as
far as possible, issue the above line (with correction, of course) ``by
hand'' and then run `make' again so it picks up where is previously
stopped and finished it's job..

I've noticed that the same happends on my system, also with `libidn'.
I'll try to trace it down and report back if I find anything out, but I
have a rough week in front of me and can't promise to get to that on any
schedule..