[collectd] Query: Odd "scsi err" messages to /var/log/messages while collectd is running

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Tue Mar 21 21:42:03 CET 2006

Hello Tim,

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 04:23:14PM -0400, Tim Chipman wrote:
> (CentOS 4.2 x86_64, sempron3300+ /64bit with 1gig ram, mirrored 250gb
> SATA HDDs)

what RAID controller/which kernel module are you using for SCSI access
to the drives? Which plugins do you use in collectd? Are the messages
really apearing every two minutes or is syslog summarizing anything?

> If I stop the collectd daemon, the messages stop piling up.  If I
> restart the daemon, the messages resume.  Hence my belief they are
> related.

That sounds weird.. collectd itself doesn't access the SCSI bus at any
time. However, it may be configured to query `hddtempd' which, I
_think_, uses special SCSI commands to get to the SMART data in the
hardware/disk. If you're using the `hddtemp' plugin try to disable it
and check if the problem persists.
If that didn't change anything, or if you never had the `hddtemp' plugin
in the first place, try disabling all but one plugin (I'd suggest
something very easy for that one, like the `load' plugin). Does that
change anything?

Right now I don't have any more ideas, but maybe the diagnostic steps
above reveal something.. Good luck :)