[collectd] New ping plugin

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sun Mar 5 22:46:16 CET 2006

Hi everyone,

as I have noted here before I'm not too happy with `libping', the
library used by collectd to ping hosts. The drawbacks are:
- Only one host can be pinged at once.
- No ICMPv6 packets can be generated.
- Much unneccessary code (``ping''ing HTTP and POP3, e.g.)
- No new version for over three years, although patches have been sent
  upstream.

I've taken the time and written a library to my (or better, to
collectd's) needs. This code will be included in the next minor release,
3.8.0. I want to release it by the end of this week, so any feedback is
most welcome.. I'll supply tarballs if needed.

P.S.: I've looked into `fping', which can ping multiple hosts and does
      IPv6. But (a) it's either IPv4 -or- IPv6 (compile time setting)
      and (b) the code is, well, grown..